Tom Davis has single-handedly assembled 15,000 safe sex kits for our prevention team to distribute in the community.
Tom had been volunteering for a year when he attended our Martin Luther King Jr. Day of service safe sex kit packing event in January. Our team reached out after the event to see if he would be interested in taking some supplies home to continue assembling safe sex kits.
Netflix and Volunteering
“It’s an easy way to give back because you can multitask while you doing it,” said Davis. “I set up my assembly line, turn on Netflix and go.”
Davis picks up the supplies from our Prevention team at The Project, takes them home, and exchanges the finished safe sex kits for more supplies.
“He is a safe-sex-kit making machine,” said John Shaw, Prevention Services Manager.
What do we put in a safe sex kit?
- Two condoms
- Information about The Project and getting tested
How to Volunteer:
Assembling safe sex kits is a great volunteer opportunity for both individuals and groups in Des Moines.
- Contact John Shaw at The Project at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pick-up materials like condoms, lube and bags
- Assemble in your home, at your office or at a conference as a way to give back
- Drop completed safe sex kits off at The Project.
This opportunity is perfect for people who want to give back, but don’t have time to join a board or attend an event because they can fit it into their schedule.