At The Project, we partner with many community organizations to support our clients. One of our close partners is Positive Iowans Taking Charge, otherwise known as PITCH.
The mission of PITCH is to create an atmosphere where People Living with HIV can unite, advocate, and assist others living with HIV to achieve better health and wellness. They provide educational opportunities, camaraderie, and a sense of community to Iowans living with HIV/AIDS.
We sat down with Tim Campbell the current PITCH treasurer to learn more about PITCH, and why people living with HIV should consider getting involved with their organization.
Tim has been involved with PITCH for eight years because he remembers the first time he attended a PITCH event.
“It was a real game-changer, for the good,” said Tim.
Being involved with PITCH showed him that he was not alone in the fight and since has given him a chance to help others. The organization has given him a place to have his voice heard and to hear what others have to say.
On April 24-26, PITCH is hosting its annual Wellness Retreat for people living with HIV at Wesley Woods in Indianola, IA.
It is a weekend free of stigma, to connect with other Iowans living with HIV, spend relaxing time doing crafts, sharing experiences and ideas for how they have overcome barriers when navigating their HIV diagnosis.
Leading up The Wellness Retreat PITCH is hosting Meet and Greets throughout Iowa.
The next Meet and Greet is scheduled for March 26, 2020, in Ames, at the PHC Medical Clinic (3510 Lincoln Way, Ames, IA).
Below is more information about the PITCH Annual Wellness Retreat for those interested in attending:
Annual Wellness Retreat, April 24-26, 2020 @ Wesley Woods in Indianola, IA
What a person can expect when they go to the Wellness Retreat:
- Modern cabins, heat, and AC. It’s Iowa so who knows what will be needed.
- The rooms accommodate about 4-6 people.
- Food is, provided to all attendees.
- There is no fee to attend and participate in this event.
- If you are interested in attending, complete an application online. Go to the PITCH website, or ask your case manager for help completing the application.
- If you need transportation, or if you are driving yourself and are willing to be a “ride-share” please indicate that on the application.
- If you drive your own car you can be reimbursed for mileage at $.39 a mile.
- A support person and that is defined as your spouse, partner, family member or close friend can attend the wellness weekend with you. Your support person will need to complete their own application and indicate that they will be attending with you.
- If you would prefer a paper application, please send an email to email@example.com, and someone from PITCH will send it to you.